LA Galbi Korean BBQ Short Ribs
Make the best LA Galbi or kalbi, Korean BBQ short ribs, at home using the tried and tested recipe for the perfect galbi marinade. It’s best to grill the marinated beef short ribs over charcoal, but you can easily broil them in the oven too.
Just in time for weekend grilling is excellencete for LA galbi or kalbi, grilled beef short ribs because it is simply delicious. This is a recipe that has a lot of praise for its great flavor and you will try it when you make it.
Cut of meat for beef LA Galbi Korean BBQ Short Ribs
Marinated in a perfectly balanced sweet and savory sauce, the galbi meat will be tender and succulent while still being nicely browned and caramelized on the outside.
As I previously explained in another galbi post, there are two different cuts for beef short ribs.
First one is the English cut, which is when the ribs are separated and cut into short lengths. The English cut is used for galbi jjim (braised) or butterflied for grilling.
Second one is the flanken cut, which is when ribs are cut thin across the bones. To Koreans, the flanken cut is also known as “LA galbi,” supposedly named after the city where early Korean immigrants started to use this cut to make galbi gui (grilled short ribs).Galbi marindade
How to make LA Galbi Korean BBQ Short Ribs marindade
The people use different things to tenderize short ribs, which are a tough cut of meat, like kiwi, pineapple, cola, etc. The favorite is Korean/Asian pear, which is a traditional ingredient used for galbi. Grated onion and alcohol, in the marinade, also tenderize the meat. These ribs have a smooth balance of sweet and savory flavors!
If you cannot find Asian Pears, you can use an apple instead. Some Korean chefs swear by kiwi or pineapple but you will have to make sure you don’t over marinate the meat as these are very strong tenderizing agents.
It’s best to grill LA galbi over charcoal or wood charcoal (sootbul), but a gas grill or a grill pan over the stove top works good too or you can broil galbi.
To broil galbi in the oven, please set the oven to broil and preheat. Lay the meat in a single layer in a broiling pan and place it on the top rack of the oven, usually about 6 inches below the broiler. Cook until the ribs are slightly charred and caramelized, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip them over and cook for an additional 3 – 4 minutes. Watch closely not to burn them.
LA Galbi (Korean BBQ Short Ribs)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Marinating: 8 hour
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4 persons.
- 3 – 4pounds cross-cut beef short ribs about 1/3-inch thick
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine or mirin
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 Korean/Asian pear grated
- 1/2 medium onion grated
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds optional
- 3 ounces potato starch noodles (soaked in hot water for 20 minutes and drained)
- 3 scallions
- 1 pack enoki mushrooms (stems removed)
- 2 cups water, dashima broth, or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Rinse the ribs to wash off bone dust, and drain well. Pound the meat lightly with a meat tenderizer, or stretch it out with your hands. This step helps tenderize the meat, but you can skip it if you want.
For the marinade
1. Mix all marinade ingredients well. Marinate the meat for 6 – 8 hours (overnight for best results). The thicker the meat, the longer you’ll want to marinate.
2. Preheat the grill over medium high heat. Grill the short ribs, turning only once, 2 or 3 minutes on each side. It’s best to grill over charcoal or wood charcoal (soot bul), but a gas grill or a grill pan over the stove top works well too. (See note for the oven broiling method.).
Notes: To broil galbi in the oven, set the oven to broil and preheat. Lay the meat in a single layer on a broiling pan and place it on the top rack of the oven, usually about 6 inches below the broiler. Cook until the ribs are slightly charred and caramelized, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip them over and cook for an additional 3 – 4 minutes. Remember to watch closely so as not to burn them.
Share this article on your social networks Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp with your friends and family so that the next time they invite you to their barbecue, the experience will be superior!